[dgplug-users] One of many reasons of not using Telegram

Rahul Jha rahul722j at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 08:39:40 PDT 2019

Hello everyone,

On Mon, 26 Aug 2019 at 22:37, Kushal Das via Users
<users at lists.dgplug.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Read it when you have time:
>
> https://www.zdnet.com/article/hong-kong-protesters-warn-of-telegram-feature-that-can-disclose-their-identities/

I know that Telegram is wicked, but the argument they put up in the
story is equally valid:

> "Changing to a different app like Signal is not a viable option for us. Because the way the protestors communicate heavily depends on the support of very large groups [...] in which Telegram has really good support," Chu said.

> "On the other hand, Signal and Wire groups are limited to a few hundred people, and Signal makes your phone number visible to everyone anyway.

What should we do if we find ourselves in a similar situation? Is
there another viable choice? Where should we settle in this trade-off
b/w usability and security?

Sincerely,
Rahul Jha

--
https://rj722.github.io

Final Year B.Tech Student
Department of Electronics Engineering
Zakir Husain College of Engineering & Technology
Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh - 202002

GPG Fingerprint: C984 E9A2 D2E3 E581 4F3E  DB1E DD53 53EC 154B 6811