[dgplug-users] Scaling of multiple different services

Kushal Das kushaldas at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 10:38:59 PST 2021

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 11:46 AM Robin Schubert via Users
<users at lists.dgplug.org> wrote:

> Good morning dgplug,
>
> I want to build a communication network for a community, with
> - Dicsourse as forum
> - Pleroma as microblogging platform
> - Writeas as blogging platform
> - Matrix as chat
> - Keycloas as authentication service
>
> To set up everything once isn't even the biggest problem, however I wonder how I
> should manage these different services and how to scale them if the project
> would grow further.
>
> I'm not too familiar with docker, but it seems that the most convenient way for
> some of these services would be to deploy the docker container. How could that
> be managed?
>
> If I understood correctly, to update a docker container I simply pull the new
> image and discard the old one, because all relevant data is stored on external
> volumes, right?
>
> Also if I understood correctly, to scale up and balance the loads I can deploy
> identical containers any time (with appropriate routing for load balancing)? Is
> that also possible across different hosts?

When I first started hosting dgplug infra by ourselves, I had small
instances, but then
with multiple services, we had to make sure separate systems (bare
metal in many cases).
We don't have to worry about scaling with this, except for the
mastodon service, too much
data.

You can start small, and get plans ready for migration.

Kushal
--
Public Interest Technologist
CPython Core Developer