[dgplug-users] Scaling of multiple different services

Robin Schubert robin.schubert at gmx.de
Fri Oct 15 02:44:39 PDT 2021

Good morning dgplug,

I want to build a communication network for a community, with
- Dicsourse as forum
- Pleroma as microblogging platform
- Writeas as blogging platform
- Matrix as chat
- Keycloas as authentication service

To set up everything once isn't even the biggest problem, however I wonder how I
should manage these different services and how to scale them if the project
would grow further.

I'm not too familiar with docker, but it seems that the most convenient way for
some of these services would be to deploy the docker container. How could that
be managed?

If I understood correctly, to update a docker container I simply pull the new
image and discard the old one, because all relevant data is stored on external
volumes, right?

Also if I understood correctly, to scale up and balance the loads I can deploy
identical containers any time (with appropriate routing for load balancing)? Is
that also possible across different hosts?

Or should I try to have everything on bare metal and VMs that I have more
control of?

I'm grateful for your suggestions and tips ;)
Thanks,
Robin