[dgplug-users] I Know What You Are Going to Do This Summer, 2022

Anwesha Das anwesha.srkr at gmail.com
Fri May 27 03:10:13 PDT 2022

Hi,

We are glad to announce the 15th edition of "I Know What
You Are Going to Do This Summer" [1], a free
online (IRC-based) [2] training programme with sessions for
newcomers to get started with Free/ Libre/ Open Source Software
at #dgplug on libera.chat [3].

If you are a mentor or trainer, or prospective enthusiast who would
like to participate in this year's sessions, please go through last
year's IRC logs:

http://www.dgplug.org/irclogs/

This year we will be spending more time learning about
ethics in programming and in life and the consequences of the
code we write.

The session timings are mostly varying, usually after 1900 IST every day.

To participate, you need a good internet connection and any of the latest
Linux Distribution installed (Fedora 36 preferably). And an
attitude to learn. Anyone can participate.

We do get participants from all across the world, so this is a real
chance for you to make friends in the community.

What do we teach?
===============

Through this training, we build contributors. Upon completing this
training, you will be able to successfully contribute to upstream
projects, and you will know the tools used by different upstream
projects. More importantly, you will learn how to communicate
efficiently to get things done. We spent a lot of time discussing
ethics and the responsibility of us who builds technology for the
rest of the world.

Please visit the training page[1] for more details.

Guest sessions
=============

Throughout the training, we organize special sessions from well-known
upstream contributors. They share their own stories and take in-depth
sessions on various subjects.

To know more
=============

[4] is an interview on opensource.com about this training. [5] is the talk we
had in PyCon 2014 and the keynote on PyCon UK 2017 [6] on the same topic.

How to participate?
This training is open to anyone and everyone, so share the news
among your family and friends.

Starting Time
IRC Channel: #dgplug on Libera.chat server

[1] https://foss.training
[2] https://summertraining.readthedocs.io/en/latest/irc.html
[3] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate/IRCHowTo
[4] http://opensource.com/life/14/6/enroll-now-free-online-open-