[dgplug-users] "Interview fundue"

Jackson Isaac jacksonisaac2008 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 07:17:55 PDT 2015

Hi,

I missed out a really great session by mbuf on "Preparing for
Interviews". I slept through but luckily I had IRC running on waartaa,
so I went through the logs.

It did clear lot of doubts and also mbuf mentioned some very important
points to keep in mind. I did do mistakes during interview that mbuf
mentioned today, but as he said every interview is an experience.

It would be great to have another follow-up session sometime soon.

I also wanted to share some experience -
I love to work on OSS projects and they are my main area of interest.
But some of my seniors had told that some companies (who make
proprietary software) don't like it when a candidate mentions Open
Source and are lot into F/OSS. I don't know how true that is, maybe
mbuf can share some insights ?

I did a mistake of mentioning my favorite subjects as Area of Interest
but they bombarded me with lot of in-depth questions that usually
isn't taught in the classes. One of the interviewer was our alumni and
he told me that you should only mention those 'Area of Interests' that
you have good knowledge of rather than what your employer wants, and
can drive the interview in your area of interest. So I went back and
updated my area of interest to GNU/Linux and OSS, and as mbuf
mentioned in the session "Do a job which interests you, and not think
about money or other things". That is indeed true and if you get
rejected because your and employers area of interest doesn't match
then the job is not for you.

--
Jackson Isaac
S7 B.Tech CSE