[dgplug-users] A blogpost on software patents

Anwesha Sarkar anwesha.srkr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 02:49:21 PST 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> IANAL, and I know you are a lawyer. So, I shall try to reply from the
> Free Software perspective.
>
> --- On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 11:02 PM, Anwesha Sarkar
> <anwesha.srkr at gmail.com> wrote:
> | I started writing a series of blogposts about software patents.
> \--
>
> In the Free Software world, we do not accept patents for software.
> Rather, it does not make sense for software. Some links at:
>
>   http://shakthimaan.com/downloads.html#richard-stallman-danger-of-software-patents
>
> Because some parts of the world have already committed themselves in
> combining copyright, patents, and trademark under the umbrella of
> "IP", people continue to file them for defensive purpose.

Thank you for reading the blogpost and the honest feedback.
Yes, I know that Free Software as a concept and community does not
promote and/or support the patent for software. Personally as a FOSS
user even I do not support and/or wish to promote software patents.
But nowadays when we still have software patent as a practice  and the
sovereign recognises software patent as a system (in US) I believe
people with special reference to software developers must know about
it. Secondly, before rejecting and/or not promoting and/or  not
supporting a concept, idea or system in this particular case  patent
for software one should have a clear knowledge what and why they are
rejecting and/or not promoting and/or not supporting. These were some
of my basic intentions behind writing these blogposts.

In my future posts I will write about why FOSS as a community does not
support patent system with a special reference to India and recent
(February 19 2016) revised Guidelines for Examination of Computer
Related Inventions issued by the Office of Controller General of
Patents, Designs and Trade marks.
Moreover I want to thank you for the links those are really helpful.

Anwesha